We recently got some new side tables for our living room and my hubby has been super crazy about putting things down on them. He kept telling me “Use a coaster!” But guess what, we have none lying around. They have slowly disappeared over time by way of the kids stealing them for other things or getting accidentally thrown out. I decided that I was going to make a few that would be pretty and functional! I dug through my stash and instead of defaulting to cotton like I always do, I pulled out some raffia that I have been keeping for a rainy day. I love working with different materials so I thought I would give it a shot. I came up with these super easy coasters that take just a few minutes to make. Plus, since I was able to whip up quite a few in one night, it will keep the hubby happy and quiet 😉 I hope you enjoy these gorgeous Raffia Coasters! Happy Crocheting!
- Approximately 15 yds of raffia yarn (I used Premier Home Raffia Multis Yarn* in Almond and Hollow Reeds)
- Size I 5.5 mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
- Blocking board*
- T Pins*
ch(s) – chain(s)
st(s) – stitch(es)
hdc – half double crochet
sl st – slip stitch
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
4 sts & 2.8 rows = 1″
4″ in diameter
- This pattern is written in US crochet terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This project begins with a magic circle. If you are not familiar with the magic circle, there is a tutorial listed below. If you are not comfortable working with the magic circle, you can chain 2 and work all of your stitches in the 2nd ch from hook.
Magic Circle, ch 1
Round 1: 8 hdc into the magic circle, join in beginning hdc. (8)
Round 2: Ch 1, 2 hdc into each st around, join in beginning hdc (16)
Round 3: Ch 1, 1 hdc into the first st, 2 hdc into the next st, *1 hdc into the next st, 2 hdc into the next st** Repeat from * to ** around, join in beginning hdc (24)
Row 4: Ch 1, 1 hdc into the first st, 1 hdc into the next st, 2 hdc into the next st, *1 hdc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 hdc into the next st** Repeat from * to ** around, join in beginning hdc (32)
Row 5: Ch 1, 1 hdc into the first st, 1 hdc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 hdc into the next st, *1 hdc into each of the next 3 sts, 2 hdc into the next st** Repeat from * to ** around, join in beginning hdc. (40)
Row 6: Ch 1, sl st into each st around, join in beginning sl st with an invisible join, fasten off, weave all ends. (40)
Using blocking mat and t-pins, wet block your coasters. It is not necessary but it will make the coasters lie flat.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.