With Valentine’s Day just a few weeks away, I wanted to make something cute for Kaylee to wear. She has been really into headbands lately so I thought that it would be cute to make her a bee-themed headband. I came up with this quick, easy, and adorable headband and asked Kaylee to “bee” mine 🙂 This pattern is great for scrap yarn and takes about 30 minutes to make. Also, if you don’t want to make a headband, you can use the bee applique for anythign else! Happy Crocheting!
“Bee Mine” Crochet Headband
- Size H (5 mm) Crochet Hook (affiliate link)
- Size I (5.5 mm) Crochet Hook (affiliate link)
- Size B (2.25mm) Crochet Hook
- Worsted Weight Yarn in four colors (I use Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Cotton Yarn)
- Small amount of Embroidery Floss* or Thread in Black (affiliate link)
- Yarn Needle
- Embroidery Needle* (affiliate link)
ch – chain
sk – skip
sc – single crochet
sc dec – single crochet decrease
sl st – slip stitch
Headband (With Size I Hook):
Note – The headband is made by chaining an amount of chains to fit around your head. In this example, I chained 60 to fit my daughter’s head which is approximately 18″ around.
With Color A
Round 1 – Without twisting the chain, join with a sl st to the beginning ch.
Round 2 – Ch 1. Sc in the same stitch as the join. Ch 60. Join with a sl st into the sc. Fasten off, weave ends.
Bee (With Size H Hook):
With Color B
Magic Circle, ch 1.
6 sc into the circle. Join in beginning sc. Ch 1. (6)
2 sc into each st around. Join in beginning sc. Fasten off. (6)
Change to Color C
Join yarn in any stitch of the circle that you just created. Sc into the same st and the next 3 sts. Ch 1, turn. (4)
2 sc into the next st, 1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc into the last st. Turn.(6)
Change to Color B
Ch 1. Sc into each st across. Ch 1, turn. (6)
Sc into each st across. Turn. (6)
Change to Color C
Ch 1. sc dec, 1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, sc dec. Ch 1, turn. (4)
Sc into each st across. Turn. (4)
Change to Color B
Ch 1. sc dec, twice. Ch 1, turn. (2)
Sc dec. Fasten off, leave a long tail to sew to headband. (1)
For the bee’s wing, I used my Crochet Heart pattern and attached it to the back of the bee.
For the face, I used black embroidery floss and an embroidery needle to make the mouth and eyes (I used french knots for the eyes)
For the antennae, I used a size B (2.25) crochet hook and embroidery floss:
Join embroidery floss with a sl st into one of the stitches at the top of the bee’s head. Ch 8 Sl st into the third ch from hook. Sl st into each st across. Join in the same st as the beginning join. Fasten off. Repeat with the other antenna. Weave all ends and using the long tail from the bee’s body and a yarn needle, sew the bee onto the headband.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.