I’ve been super obsessed with making market totes lately. I just love that they are reusable and fashionable at the same time. They are also really easy to make and a real money saver. Plus, you can customize them, which is less than I can say for the store-bought ones. I enjoy taking my totes to the market and making larger ones to take to the beach. My Summer Fun Market Tote is perfect for both! This specific one is a gift for my best friend. I hope she likes it and I hope you like the pattern! Happy Crocheting!
Summer Fun Market Tote
- Size I 5.5mm Crochet Hook
- 3 skeins (297 yds) of cotton yarn in Color A. I used Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton in Tropic Breeze
- 1 skein (120 yds) of cotton yarn in Color B. I used Lily Sugar n Cream in Hot Green
- 1 skein (99 yds) of cotton yarn in Color C. I used Lily Sugar n Cream in White
- Stitch Marker
- Yarn Needle
sc dec – single crochet decrease
Measurements of finished tote – 15″ wide x 16.5″ long (from top to bottom, not including handle). Handle measures 14.5″ long
With Color A,
Magic circle, ch 2
Round 1: 11 dc into the circle. Join in beginning dc. Ch 2 (11)
Round 2: 2 dc into each st around. Join. Ch 2 (22)
Round 3: *1 dc into next st, 2 dc into next st.* Repeat * around. Join. Ch 2 (33)
Round 4: *1 dc into each of the next 2 sts, 2 dc into next st.* Repeat * around. Join. Ch 2 (44)
Round 5: *1 dc into each of the next 3 sts, 2 dc into next st.* Repeat * around. Join. Ch 2 (55)
Round 6: *1 dc into each of the next 4 sts, 2 dc into next st.* Repeat * around. Join. Ch 2 (66)
Round 7: *1 dc into each of the next 5 sts, 2 dc into next st.* Repeat * around. Join. Ch 2 (77)
Round 8: 1 dc into each st around. Join. Ch 2. (77)
Now you’ll be working a continuous round.
Round 9: *dc, ch 1, dc in next st (this is referred to as a V-stitch), sk next st** Repeat between * and ** around.
Round 10: *dc, ch 1, dc** in between the V-stitches from previous round (see example image)
Round 11-15: Repeat Round 10. Change to Color B.
Round 16-20: Repeat Round 10. Change to Color C.
Round 21-24: Repeat Round 10. Change to Color B.
Round 25-30: Repeat Round 10. Sl st into the beginning dc. Change to Color A.
Round 31-33: Ch 1. Sc in each dc and ch 1 st around. Join in beginning sc. Do not fasten off. Ch 1.
Now we’re going to work the handle.
Row 1: sc in the next 12 sts. Ch 1, turn. (12)
Row 2-5: sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn (12)
Row 6: sc dec, sc in the next 8 sts, sc dec. Ch 1, turn (10)
Row 7-12: sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn (10)
Row 13: sc dec, sc in the next 6 sts, sc dec. Ch 1, turn (8)
Row 14-54: sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn (8)
Row 55: sc in each st across. Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing. (8)
For the other side of the handle
Count 39 stitches from the beginning of the first side of your handle. Join yarn, ch 1.
Repeat instructions for first side of the handle.
Connect the two parts of the handle together by using your tapestry needle and the tail end of one of your sides. Sew the two sides together on the underside of the handle so that the join isn’t visible on the top.
Join your trim color in any stitch on one side of your tote. Sc in each st around, making sure to continue up the side of your handle and back down. Join into the beginning sc. Fasten off. Repeat for the other side of the tote. Weave all ends.
That’s it! Now you can take your tote to the market, beach, or anywhere else! Enjoy!
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.