Crochet Bunny Lovey – Free Pattern

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been working on a few new items for my shop and also trying to de-stash some of my yarn. I’ve been able to donate a ton of yarn that I felt that I wouldn’t use to two charities that are really in need of yarn. I’ve been crocheting up a storm and I’ve been writing everything down but now I finally have a chance to post one of the projects I’ve been working on…this adorable bunny lovey. The pattern is very simple:

Crochet Bunny Lovey

Add to Ravelry queue

Skill Level:

Intermediate
intermediate

Materials:

Abbreviations:

ch – chain
sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
sl st – slip stitch

Instructions:

Blanket:

For the blanket, I used a basic granny square pattern.

With Color B,

Magic Circle, ch 3 (This counts as your first dc)

Round 1: 2 dc into the circle. *ch 1, 3 dc into the circle** Repeat from * to ** three more times. Ch 1, join in the top of the ch 3. Sl st in the next 2 sts until you reach the next ch-1 space.
Round 2: Ch 3. (2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) into the ch-1 sp. *Ch 1, sk the 3 dc. (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) into the next ch-1 sp.** Repeat from * to ** two more times. Ch 1, join in the top of the ch 3.  Sl st in the next 2 sts until you reach the next ch-1 space.
Round 3: Ch 3. (2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) into the ch-1 sp. *Ch 1, sk the next 3 dc, 3 dc into the next ch-1 sp, ch 1, (3dc, ch 1, 3 dc) into the next ch-1 sp (corner)** Repeat from * to ** two more times. Ch 1, join in the top of the ch 3.

Change to Color A by fastening off color B and joining Color A in one of the corner ch-1 spaces.

Round 4:  Ch 3. (2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) into the ch-1 sp. *Ch 1, sk the next 3 dc, 3 dc into the next ch-1 sp, ch 1, skip over next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, (3dc, ch 1, 3 dc) into the next ch-1 sp (corner)** Repeat from * to ** two more times. Ch 1, join in the top of the ch 3.

Continue the granny square pattern by increasing the amount of 3 dc sts between the corners for every round. I did 19 rounds in total broken down like this:

3 rounds of pinkCrochet Bunny Lovey - Free Pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy www.thestitchinmommy.com #crochet #bunny #Easter #lovey #baby #blanket
2 rounds of white
2 rounds of mint
2 rounds of white
2 rounds of pink
2 rounds of white
2 rounds of mint
2 rounds of white
2 rounds of pink

I finished the blanket off with one round of hdc’s in pink and then a beautiful picot edging in white. I weaved the ends with my yarn needle.

Bunny Head (Working in the round):

With Color A,

Magic Circle, ch 1.
Round 1: 5 sc in magic circle
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around (10sts)
Round 3: [1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st] repeat around (15 sts)
Round 4: [1 sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] around (20 sts)
Round 5: [1 sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st] around (25 sts)
Round 6: [1 sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st] around (30 sts)
Rounds 7-10: sc in each st around (30 sts)
Round 11: [1 sc in next 4 sts, sc dec] repeat around (25 sts)
Round 12: [1 sc in next 3 sts, sc dec] around (20 sts)
Round 13: [1 sc in next 2 sts, sc dec] around (15 sts)
***Start stuffing the head. I like to embroider the eyes and nose before I fasten off the yarn but you can do it after if you wish.
Round 14: [1 sc in next st, sc dec in next st] around (10 sts)
Round 15: Sc dec in each st around (5 sts)
Fasten off. Leave a long tail for sewing.

Bunny Arms (Make 2):

With Color A,

Magic Circle, ch 1.
Round 1: Working in the round, 4 sc in circle
Round 2: [1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st] twice (6 sts)
Round 3: 1 sc in each st around (6 sts)
Round 4: [1 sc in next st 1 sc dec in next st] twice (4 sts)
Rounds 5-7: 1 sc in each st around (4)
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing. Set arms aside.

Bunny Ears (Make 2):

Outer ear (With Color A):
Ch 9
Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each of the next 7 chs. 5 sc in last ch.
Working down the opposite side of the ch 9, sc in the next 7 chs  (19 sts all together)
Working around, [sc in next 7 sts, 2sc in next st] twice. Sc in last 3 sts (21 sts)
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.

Inner ear (With Color B):

Ch 8
Sc crochet in 2nd ch from hook and each of the next 6 chs. 5 sc in last ch.
Working down the opposite side of the ch 8, sc in each of the next 6 chs (17sts in total)
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.

Using a yarn needle, sew the inner part of the ear to the outer part and set aside.

Attach the ears to the top of your bunny head and attach the arms to the underside of the bunny head. Attach the finished bunny to the center of your granny square blanket and now you have an adorable lovey!

I hope you enjoy this pattern as much as I did. It was very fun to make and Kaylee is absolutely in love with the bunny even though she’ll a little too big for a lovey.

As I mentioned earlier, I made a giant yarn donation to 2 very worthy charities. If you have yarn that you would like to donate, The Knitting Connection and The Mother Bear Project are two charities that need a lot of help. They were very excited for my donation and I’m hoping that I can have time over the summer to send them some finished goods as well.

I do provide permission to sell items made from this pattern. However, please use your own photos. The photos shown here are for my personal use only. Also, please include this text in your listing:
Pattern by: The Stitchin’ Mommy
www.thestitchinmommy.com

If you would like to purchase the supplies that I used for this project and help support my blog, you can do both by making your purchases through my affiliate links:

GET FREE PATTERNS AND MORE RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Don't miss out! Join over 3.000 followers who are receiving our weekly newsletter and getting the latest patterns, recipes, crafts, and more straight to their inboxes, every Friday!
We hate spam more than you do. We promise that your email address will NEVER be sold or shared with anyone else.

Comments

1. Kalyssa Tatroe says

Thank you so much for this pattern! I love these animal blankets, and now that I have the basics for it, I can make any animal!! Though the bunny (and your colour choices) is way too cute!!

• says

Hi Mere! Sorry for the late reply. I usually use the tail end of the yarn from the head with a yarn needle and weave in and out of the center of the blanket, making sure not to let the yarn show through on the other side. I hope that makes sense!

2. Kathryn says

Perhaps I’m just reading it wrong, or I’m more tired than I think…
    I have finished the 19 round blanket part and am about to start the bunny. What do you mean “working in the round” in your instructions?

• says

Hi Kathryn, working in the round means that you don’t join at the end of each round. You work in a continuous spiral. This is where the stitch marker comes in handy. Hope that helps!

3. Genie says

Made the blanket and bunny head with no problem, I did have a bit of trouble with the hands for the bunny but I think what I’ve done will work. The ears I don’t quite understand where the rest of the stitches come from as I don’t see an increase past the five additional stitches in the last of the chain 9 row. Can you tell me where I get the 19 stitches at the end of row 2?
    Thanks

• says

Hi Genie! I’m not sure if you saw my previous comment. My site had a hiccup and some of my comments and posts were lost. To get to the 19 stitches, you have to work down the opposite side of the chain. You will need to sc in the bottom of each chain, working around to the beginning sc. I hope that all makes sense!

4. Terry Johnson says

Just completed my lovey for a boy baby shower coming up next week! I posted the photos on my Ravelry page if you are interested in seeing them. I wasn’t sure if I should attach them here. Thank you so much for the pattern, it was written straight forward and was easy to complete. :o)

• says

Hi Terry! I can’t wait to see the photos! I will head over to Ravelry now. I’m glad that the instructions were easy to follow. You can always post any photos to my Facebook page. I enjoy seeing them and sharing them with others :)

5. Birda says

Love love love this adorable pattern!
    Do you have a pattern for a PUPPY lovey?
    I think that would be perfect for a boy!
    Thank you for sharing your talents!

6. Stephanie says

Just finished Bunny Lovey. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I love it! I’ve put a photo on Ravelry

7. Mary Gilbert says

I love your Bunny pattern!!! It is the prettiest of all the patterns I have seen. I have only been crocheting for a few weeks and I can’t wait until I learn enough to make this blanket. How much yarn should I buy? Several of the comments say the pattern needs updating, so I hope you will find the time to do this soon. As a beginner I am afraid to start a project that the more experienced have found confusing. Thanks so much for sharing your super cute bunny.

• says

Thank you Mary! I used about half of a skein of both the pink and green and almost the whole skein of the white. I wish that I had time to update this pattern right now but I don’t want to rush through it. I want to make sure that I do it properly since it’s one of my more popular patterns. I am hoping to add photo tutorials and a video tutorial as well but it will take some time. In the meantime, if you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me!

• says

Hi! I really loved this pattern! I made it myself (with a few alterations :)) And I hoped you wouldnt mind that i translated it to norwegian and posted it on my blogg with a link to this site. I hope thats allright?

• says

Hi Randa! As per my terms of use, I do not slow my pattern to be posted in part or as a whole on any other site. If you wish to translate it, I can add it as a pdf download on my site and add a link to your blog in the post. If you wish to post your alterations, you can link to my post and just mention the alterations that you made without reposting my pattern. I hope that all makes sense!

Trackbacks

1. […] 1) Bunny Lovey ~ Free Crochet Pattern by The Stitchin’ Mommy Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been working on a few new items for my shop and also trying to de-stash some of my yarn. I’ve been able to donate a ton of yarn that I felt that I wouldn’t use to two charities that are really in need of yarn. I’ve been crocheting up a storm and I’ve been writing everything down but now I finally have a chance to post one of the projects I’ve been working on…this adorable bunny lovey. […]