Bunny Lovey {Free Crochet Pattern}

Crochet Bunny Lovey - Free Pattern by The Stitchin' Mommy www.thestitchinmommy.com

Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been working on a few new items for my shop and also trying to de-stash some of my yarn. I’ve been able to donate a ton of yarn that I felt that I wouldn’t use to two charities that are really in need of yarn. I’ve been crocheting up a storm and I’ve been writing everything down but now I finally have a chance to post one of the projects I’ve been working on…this adorable bunny lovey. The pattern is very simple:

Crochet Bunny Lovey by The Stitchin' Mommy www.thestitchinmommy.com

Crochet Bunny Lovey

Materials:

• Soft Baby yarn in 3 colors. I used Bernat Softee(Affiliate Link) Baby in Prettiest Pink, Mint, and White
  • Crochet Hook Size H
  • Stitch Marker
  • Tapestry Needle
  • Embroidery Floss in Pink and Black
  • Fiber fill(Affiliate Link) for bunny head

Instructions:

Blanket:
For the blanket, I used a basic granny square pattern. This pattern from the Purl Bee is a great free pattern and very easy to follow. I used my 3 colors and crocheted 19 rounds (I know it’s kind of a random number but it felt right). I finished the blanket off with one round of hdc’s in the last color and then a beautiful picot edging in white. I weaved the ends with my tapestry needle.

Crochet Bunny Lovey by The Stitchin' Mommy www.thestitchinmommy.com

Bunny Head (Working in the round):

Magic Circle
Rnd 1: 5 sc in magic circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around (10sts)
Rnd 3: [1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st] repeat around (15 sts)
Rnd 4: [1 sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] around (20 sts)
Rnd 5: [1 sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st] around (25 sts)
Rnd 6: [1 sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st] around (30 sts)
Rnds 7-10: sc in each st around (30 sts)
Rnd 11: [1 sc in next 4 sts, sc dec] repeat around (25 sts)
Rnd 12: [1 sc in next 3 sts, sc dec] around (20 sts)
Rnd 13: [1 sc in next 2 sts, sc dec] around (15 sts)
***Start stuffing the head. I like to embroider the eyes and nose before I fasten off the yarn but you can do it after if you wish.
Rnd 14: [1 sc in next st, sc dec in next st] around (10 sts)
Rnd 15: Sc dec in each st around (5 sts)
Fasten off. Leave a long tail for sewing.

Bunny Arms (Make 2):

Magic Circle
Rnd 1: Working in the round, 4 sc in circle
Rnd 2: [1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st] twice (6 sts)
Rnd 3: 1 sc in each st around (6 sts)
Rnd 4: [1 sc in next st 1 sc dec in next st] twice (4 sts)
Rnd 5-7: 1 sc in each st around (4)
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing. Set arms aside.

Bunny Ears (Make 2):

Outer ear (White):
Ch 9
Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each of the next 7 chs. 5 sc in last ch.
Working down the opposite side of the ch 9, sc in the next 7 chs  (19 sts all together)
Working around, [sc in next 7 sts, 2sc in next st] twice. Sc in last 3 sts (21 sts)
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.

Inner ear (Pink):

Ch 8
Sc crochet in 2nd ch from hook and each of the next 6 chs. 5 sc in last ch.
Working down the opposite side of the ch 8, sc in each of the next 6 chs (17sts in total)
Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.

Using a tapestry needle, sew the inner part of the ear to the outer part and set aside.

Attach the ears to the top of your bunny head and attach the arms to the underside of the bunny head. Attach the finished bunny to the center of your granny square blanket and now you have an adorable lovey!

I hope you enjoy this pattern as much as I did. It was very fun to make and Kaylee is absolutely in love with the bunny even though she’ll a little too big for a lovey.

As I mentioned earlier, I made a giant yarn donation to 2 very worthy charities. If you have yarn that you would like to donate, The Knitting Connection and The Mother Bear Project are two charities that need a lot of help. They were very excited for my donation and I’m hoping that I can have time over the summer to send them some finished goods as well.

I do provide permission to sell items made from this pattern. However, please use your own photos. The photos shown here are for my personal use only. Also, please include this text in your listing:
Pattern by: The Stitchin’ Mommy
www.thestitchinmommy.com

I link up to these parties

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. Please note that I do receive a commission for purchases made through these links and they are clearly identified as such.

Comments

1. Brenna says

I was wondering where on the head you embroidered the face? I can’t determine if I should put the nose on the magic circle or make that the top or side of the head? Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated! I’m making this adorable lovey for my niece’s first Easter! Thank you!!

2. Roberta says

Did you work 2 dc, ch1, rather than 3dc, ch1 on the blanket pictured? I finished one and it doesn’t look quite the same since I have 3 dc as shown in the granny square pattern you linked to. Either way, it is a very cute lovey and it will go in my great grandchild hope chest.

• says

I do a 3dc then a ch1. I think it just looks like less dc’s because I used a really thin baby yarn for the blanket in the picture. If you use a heavier yarn it will look more bulky. I hope that helps!

• says

Thanks Amanda! I’m not sure if I’m ready to make my video debut just yet but I’ve been meaning to update this pattern for a while. Would a step by step picture tutorial work?

• Amanda Agata says

I would find a photo step by step tutorial of attaching the arms to the head and then head to the blanket, extremely helpful. I’m making this for my son as his easter present. :)

• says

Thanks for the feedback Amanda! I am working on a photo tutorial for this pattern. It’s taking quite a while since there are quite a few steps but I am hoping to have it up soon :)

• says

I’ve been sending yarn to both charities mentioned (The Knitting Connection & Mother Bear Project). They are always looking for yarn and they are both great causes. I’m not sure about the magazines but definitely the yarn :)

3. Joanne says

I love this lovey, I am currently working on it as I write to you. If a beginner was to try this pattern she would have problems because a few simple details were left out and if you don’t read between the lines, it won’t turn out. Like for the head, it isn’t stated to work in the rounds, round 2 of the arms really only adds up to 5 because it doesn’t say to last st 1 sc (6sts), then round 4 says (4sts) and round 5-7 says (6 sts) ?? Then the ears, after 21 sts it should be marked to continue down the remaining sts because if you don’t one side is wider than the other. Thanks for sharing and I just thought you should know.

• says

Hi Joanne! Thanks for letting me know. I wrote this pattern a while ago when I was just starting out so there are bound to be a few errors. I am in the process of updating my patterns but it’s a slow process since I have a pretty tight schedule right now. I will get to this one soon since it’s a popular one. Thanks again and have a great day!

4. says

Your bunny blanket is beautiful. I am a new grandma (first grandson just a few days ago). I will definitely be making this – thank you for sharing your pattern and the picture. You are very talented! I came across the picture through Pinterest and it caught my eye immediately! Thanks again!

5. says

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern and your talent! I was looking for some free patterns to make these so I could donate them to wherever they are needed…some kids just need hugs and something to cuddle with.

6. says

Thank you for sharing your talents. I have been looking for one of these animal snuggly patterns that are cute. you nailed it. It is so darling. I can't wait to try it.

7. says

I just found your blog, through pinterst. Thank you for sharing your talent. This is so cute, and I have been looking for a pattern that makes a cute one and not an ugly one. Thank you so much.

8. says

My friend is having twins and her shower is this Saturday…wonder if I could manage two of these by then?! I'm going to give it a try! This is so adorable.

I was also wondering if you would give permission for these to be sold? I have a little "store" to help me meet household expenses :) http://www.facebook.com/handmadecrochetedhats
    I would of course link back to your

9. says

Every year I make goodies to put under the K.Mart Wishing Tree Christmas Appeal, this pattern is perfect! Thank you so very very much for your generosity in sharing it with us.

Trackbacks